Thursday, March 28, 2013

The First Lord's Supper

Grace Gift
A Savior



Matthew 26:26-30

The First Lord’s Supper 

26 As they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, gave it to the disciples, and said, “Take and eat it; this is My body.” 27 Then He took a cup, and after giving thanks, He gave it to them and said, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood that establishes the covenant; it is shed for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 But I tell you, from this moment I will not drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it in a new way in My Father’s kingdom with you.” 30 After singing psalms, they went out to the Mount of Olives.

 

The night before Jesus died he had a final meal with His disciples. It was His final meal and yet a 'first' meal. He had never done anything like this before during the Passover meals; this was a first-last supper.
 As He broke some bread and passed it around, and then also some wine, He asked that everyone who follows Him should do the same - as a way of remembering Him. The broken bread is to represent His broken body on the cross. The red wine - as a reminder of His blood spilled our for us.

Our Lord, singing....that's a pretty awesome thought. I always see Him as a Teacher but somehow, forget He loved to sing the psalms- even on the eve of His betrayal.
 
 Oh, Lord, I love You!
And after singing psalms, they went out to the Mount of Olives.


No comments:

Post a Comment