Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Letters - Tender Expressions

 ~ Grace Gift ~
Letters

"Perhaps I will stay with you awhile, or even spend the winter - My love to all of you - " - Paul in his letter to the Corinthians


Are the days of putting pen to paper and handwriting a letter obsolete? Does old fashioned letter writing still exist?
 These days, the invention of smart phones, iphones, ipads and the humble old computer are giving people faster options of sending friends, colleagues and loved ones messages.


It could be said that the problem with letter writing is that is that it is far too time consuming. Yet on the other hand, people will say that they appreciate receiving a hand-written note.

 Letter writing is an essential skill. Despite the prevalence of technology, everyone will have to write a letter at some point. Encouraging children to write letters from an early age will improve their communication, handwriting skills, and teach them what they need to know about writing and structuring letters.

 
Every Christmas and birthday that I can remember followed a similar pattern: wake up, open presents, spend time with family, and have a nice dinner. There have been variations over the years, of course, but one thing never changed – my mother’s insistence on writing thank you notes. After receiving any sort of present, my mom would immediately compile lists of every gift and who gave them to us. For years, my sister and I would roll our eyes, annoyed.
 
  Like most people, I love getting actual letters in the mail and I've discovered that I enjoy writing letters, too.  I found that even though it's not the fastest form of communication, letters have a personal quality that makes them different from texts, emails, or facebook.
 Don't let this classic old-fashioned art fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment