Tuesday, February 26, 2013

An Attitude Of Gratitude

 ~ Grace Gift ~
An Attitude Of Gratitude

Every generous act and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights; with Him there is no variation or shadow cast by turning.        James 1:17

“Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
I wanted to share with all of you how feeling grateful for the things in my life has changed me.  As I was growing up, I won’t say that I was a negative person, but I certainly focused on what was wrong more than on what was right.  And I really don’t know why I was this way.  My family were happy and positive people, so it’s not like I was surrounded by negativity.  But for some reason, even though I had a happy childhood, I would get angry and upset when things didn’t go the way I thought that they should.
 Anyway, over the last two to three years I have totally changed my focus and have decided to really look on the bright side, find the silver lining, and realize how fortunate I am!   Maybe because I’m older and wiser, or as I look back over my life I’m finding that things really aren’t that bad.  I have decided to CHOOSE to be happier, and to be thankful for each and every blessing that I have received.  I’ve learned that when you focus on all of the great things you have in your life, it helps to shift your focus and get you to see things in a different light.
  “We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives.” ― John F. Kennedy
Even though I feel overwhelmed at times, I find that being grateful for challenges changes my perspective.  For example, I have so many fabulous friends, some of whom have recently re-surfaced in my life and I really haven’t been in contact with since high school. Friendship is something to treasure, and old friends are the absolute best!  They know all about the city where you grew up, the house you lived in and the pets you had, your parents and siblings and especially the schools you went to as they were all there with you along the way.  It’s a connection that’s unbreakable, and it’s something that others aren’t able to relate to.   I don’t know where I would be without my friends, both old and new, and I hope that I have been able to sprinkle their lives with as much love and encouragement as they have with mine!
 “Let us be grateful to the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” ― Marcel Proust

 Another thing I have is a Gratitude Jar  and I’m reminded on a daily basis of new things to add.  The benefits of this have been amazing for me, and I highly recommend this practice for everybody.  I promise that you, too, will be amazed at the difference in your everyday outlook and mood!  The cool thing is that you can focus on a certain subject that you feel grateful for, or you can just randomly write down whatever comes to your mind.  I promise you will never have a shortage of things to write!  I find that once I get going, ideas just keep on coming, and focusing joyfully on all that I’ve written instantly brightens my day.
I hope that you will all take some time to try this practice, and I believe that this can be life-changing for you!

It's good to be alive!
Thank You, Lord.






No comments:

Post a Comment