Tuesday, December 25, 2012

One Little Light

~  Grace Gift ~ Light
 You are the light of the world - like a city on a mountain, glowing in the night for all to see. Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand and let it shine for all to see. Matthew 5:14-15
Have you ever driven through the mountains in the middle of the night? There are usually a few houses that are barely visible, hidden among the trees and bushes, high atop the hill. I remember when I was little, my mom and sister and I went on vacations to Colorado from Illinois. We drove all the way there and back, and a lot of the driving was done at night. I woke up one night while were driving and looked up to the top of a mountain to see one little light glowing. But, in the midst of darkness - no streetlights, no other buildings - this one little house, besides the moon and the stars, was the only thing that lit up the night sky. And wow, was it beautiful and amazing. In fact, I think it was one of the things that made me fall in love with Colorado.

When I read this verse, I thought of that mountain and that one little light. It seemed so small and insignificant. I'll bet most of the people around there didn't even notice it. But, it shone so brightly that it attracted one little girl's attention in the middle of the night. And from the back seat of the car, she watched until it was out of sight.

Somehow, that light seemed so special then. And now I realize how inspiring it is. We are to be as that city on the mountain - as small, seemingly insignificant, and unnoticeable as it is, it attracts the attention of those who need it and shows a testimony of who God is. More people than you realize see your faith and are intrigued, inspired, and encouraged. But, more importantly, God sees it and is glorified. Be a light to your city, community, and school. You might be amazed at those who are touched by it.






No comments:

Post a Comment