Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Who's I Am

                                    ~ Grace Gift ~
                     A Heart That Remembers Who's I am.


“Praise the Lord. Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the saints. Let Israel rejoice in their Maker; let the people of Zion be glad in their King. Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp. For the Lord takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation. Let the saints rejoice in this honor and sing for joy on their beds.” Psalm 149:1-5


Frustrated by my feelings of restlessness, worry, and discouragement with life, I stop..... and sit down with God.
 I open to the Psalms, where I know the words will reflect and mirror the feelings of my heart. But more than that, I know the prose penned so long ago will guide my thoughts and feelings back to Him.


These Psalms (147-150) remind me that I was created to love and glorify my Maker. I was made to live a life of praise, not one of stress, doubt, and confusion. With my heart so focused and distracted by my self-imposed goals and plans, I had developed heart amnesia. I forgot who I was and why I am here. My plans, goals, and dreams, while all good, had become a barrier, a cloudy haze, making it hard to remember who I was made to be.


Like a person with amnesia, sometimes I need my memory triggered to remind me who I am:

completely known (Psalm 139)
a treasured possession (Ephesians 1:14)
a dearly loved child (Ephesians 5:1)
a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)
a possession of God (Isaiah 43:1)
an heir of God (Galatians 4:7)
pure and holy (1 Corinthians 1:30)
free! (John 8:26)

The more I remember who I am in Christ, the more my heart responds with praise. Living a life of praise is a heart posture, a habit, a way of life. It’s the only way to truly live. And it’s what I was created for.









No comments:

Post a Comment