Friday, July 12, 2013

The Sound Of Silence

Grace Gift
Silence
"Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."--Psalms 46:10
Sean Duran Photography
  
I am a word person. I grew up around books and with a mother who was a  teacher. I read and write daily. I read as a starving person looking for food in words. I never leave home without a journal or blank paper to write on. My prayers often show up on the page of a journal after I have been reflecting, questioning or just rambling about something.

Yet, sometimes, words get in the way
 Sometimes I need to go to the place before the words in my prayer journey…. into the “silence of the heart.” I need to not be praying words but letting silence seep in so that I can hear what it is God is saying to me beyond the words.  
 

"Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah."--Psalms 4:4 
Sean Duran Photography

"This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it."--Psalms 132:14  
 Sean Duran Photography

"The whole earth is at rest, and is quiet: they break forth into singing."--Isaiah 14:7  
Sean Duran Photography

“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone.” (Psalm 62:5)

It is on this path then that I am more awake and attentive to what God has to say to me. It is as if in the silence I can better discern the words I need to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment